The Birkdale Recycling and Waste Centre will temporarily close for maintenance for four days a week (Monday to Thursday) over two weeks from 17 May 2021.
Mayor Karen Williams said the closure was necessary for the safety of Council employees, contractors and the community.
“Works are planned to repair a storm water drain which has been damaged following recent heavy rain,” she said.
“The drain runs beside the down exit road and the site needs to be closed so repair works can be completed safely.
“In an endeavour to reduce the impact on residents as much as possible the works will take place between Monday and Thursday over two weeks, from 17 May to 27 May, with the centre to remain open during peak times.
“The centre will need to close on these days, with works to be undertaken during daylight hours, but will reopen from Friday 21 May to Sunday 23 May.”
Cr Williams encouraged residents to either hold on to waste and recyclables for a Friday to Sunday drop-off at Birkdale, or make use of the Redland Bay Recycling and Waste Centre.
Commercial operators are being asked to use alternative facilities during the closure period.
Division 8 Councillor Tracey Huges said she acknowledged the temporary closure may be an inconvenience for some people.
“We appreciate the community’s patience during this short-term closure while we improve services to our residents,” Cr Huges said.
“The centre is expected to reopen on Friday 28 May, subject to weather conditions and the progress of the maintenance work that will be required.”
Redland Bay Recycling and Waste Centre, located at 761-789 German Church Road, is open seven days a week from 7am-5.30pm.
This centre only accepts residential and commercial waste in vehicles with a gross combination vehicle mass (GCVM) of less than 4.5 tonnes. Recyclable material including cardboard and scrap metal is not subject to this limit.
The following commercial items are not accepted at Redland Bay Recycling and Waste Centre:
- Commercially generated or transported fibro, cement sheeting and asbestos-containing material. Redland Bay only accepts residential quantities (up to 10sqm)
- Commercial bricks and concrete
- Commercial and industrial mixed waste in vehicles greater than 4.5 tonnes GCVM.
Commercial operators are encouraged to go to alternative locations where possible during the closure. Please check with operators regarding what waste is accepted.
Alternative locations include:
- Chandler Resource Recovery Centre (Brisbane City Council), Tilley Road, Chandler – vehicles less than 4.5 tonnes GCVM
- Resource Recoveries and Recycling, 706 Mount Cotton Road, Sheldon – does not accept commercial and industrial waste
- Carbrook Waste and Recycling Facility (Logan City Council), 1801 Mount Cotton Road, Cornubia – vehicles less than 4.5 tonnes GCVM
- Stapylton Resource Recovery, 144 Rossmanns Road, Stapylton.