Redland City Council will provide funding to help 11 not-for-profit groups run events during Queensland Seniors Month in October.
Mayor Karen Williams said Council was pleased to support the organisations through the inaugural Redlands Coast Seniors Month Grants Program.
“Council has been a supporter of Seniors Month for a number of years but this is the first year we’ve offered a dedicated grants program,” she said.
“We are very happy with the calibre of applications for this grant, with groups planning events on both the mainland and the islands.
“Our seniors will be spoilt for choice during October, with activities ranging from soccer, tennis and walking basketball through to an expo, hobby and craft displays and a morning tea to honour inspiring seniors.
“We have many wonderful seniors on Redlands Coast and we want them to live active, fulfilling lives and have opportunities to participate in all aspects of the community.
“This vision is articulated in Council’s Redlands Coast Age-friendly Action Plan 2021-2026 and is supported through our Seniors Month Grants Program.
“The events the program helps fund will facilitate community participation, enhance community connections, and celebrate and acknowledge our older residents and their contributions to the community.”
Successful recipients of Redlands Coast Seniors Month Grants are:
- Bay Islands United Football Club – for an inter-island seniors soccer match
- Redland District Committee on the Ageing Inc – seniors walk through parklands
- Bay Islands Community Services Inc – Showcasing Seniors (hobbies and crafts) on Russell and Macleay Islands
- Goompi Give and Grow Ltd – Quandamooka Elders lunch
- Belgravia Foundation Pty Ltd – Seniors Week celebration at Cleveland Aquatic Centre
- RedCity Roar Basketball Association Inc – Walking Basketball for Seniors
- Redlands Coast Dementia Community Alliance – Dementia Friendly Communities Education and Awareness project
- Coochiemudlo Island Men’s Shed Inc – Aged care expo with assistance from Redland District Committee on the Ageing
- U3A Redlands District Inc – U3A Come & Try Day
- Redland Bay Tennis Club – Redlands Hit Up for Seniors Social Tennis
- Blue Care – Inspiring Seniors 2021 (12th annual morning tea to honour volunteers and inspirational seniors)