Redland City Council is set to help kids emerge from their winter cocoons with a fun-filled program of spring holiday activities, starting on Saturday 18 September.
Mayor Karen Williams said there would be something for everyone in Council’s diverse range of free and low-cost activities for children and teens.
“Whether your young one is a crafty critter, budding builder, an environmental warrior or simply curious about new ideas; these is sure to be an activity to peak their interest and keep them occupied,” Cr Williams said.
“Across Council’s many facilities ¬– including libraries, art galleries, performing arts and environmental education centre – our people have been busy putting together a bumper program.”
Councillor Williams say that Redland Libraries would host Storey Treehouse afternoons, lantern craft, a puppet workshop and Lego challenge – all for free.
“While there in no cost for our library activities, you do need to book to secure your child’s spot, especially with numbers being limited for social distancing purposes,” she said.
“Council’s environmental education hub, Redlands IndigiScapes Centre, had a fantastic mix of activities and workshops for all ages and abilities.
“From citizen science to becoming a marine biologist for a day, there are so many great ways to have fun, learn more about nature and get outdoors.
“Redland Performing Arts Centre (RPAC) and Redland Art Gallery (RAG) will run performances and workshops suitable for children and teens.”
Showing at RPAC are Shakespeare’s family-friendly comedy A Midsummer Night’s Dream and free urban dance performances of Hovers and Trolleys, plus workshops from Flipside Circus and Shaun Parker & Company to get children active.
The RAG workshops include Animal Mark Markings for Kids and Creative Journaling for Teens.
For more information and to book, visit the What’s On calendar
School holiday activities at a glance
Redlands IndigiScapes Centre, Capalaba:
- iNaturalist Citizen Scientists and Outdoor Nature Play – 18 – 21 September
- Orienteering for beginners – 21 September – learn the basics of orienteering with guides from Scouts Qld
- Big Bang Science Fun – 20 September – Embrace the inquisitive side of your mind at this fun and interactive school holiday workshop.
- Geckoes Wildlife Experience with Ranger Stacey – 24 and 27 September – Get closer to the furry, feathery and scaly creatures that inhabit our local area.
- Sustainable Fashion Workshop – 29 September – Share op-shopping secrets, styling tips, thrift flips as well as the reasons why it’s so important to shop second-hand.
- Marine Biologist For a Day – 30 September –Learn about a myriad of marine creatures whilst gaining a deeper understanding of the impact humans can have on the ocean.
- Lantern Craft – 21 September at Cleveland and 22 September at Victoria Point
- Storey Treehouse Afternoon – 21 September at Cleveland, 22 September at Victoria Point and 23 September at Capalaba
- Pico’s Puppet Show – 23 September at Capalaba and 30 September at Capalaba
- Lego Challenge – 28 September at Cleveland
- Pokemon Bookmarks – 28 September at Cleveland, 29 September at Victoria Point and 30 September at Capalaba.
Redland Art Gallery:
- Animal Mark Markings for Kids – 21 September in Cleveland
- Creative Journaling for Teens – 23 September in Cleveland
Redland Performing Arts Centre, Cleveland:
- Bell Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream – 18 September
- Shaun Parker & Company Hovers and Trolleys free performances and paid workshops – 23 & 24 September
- Flipside Circus Workshops – 30 September and 1 October